Jon established his own independent consultancy in August 2008, building on his consulting practice since the late 80’s across the public services and commercial world.
He is an accomplished coach, change facilitator, leadership and organisational development practitioner. He has particular strengths in facilitating the conversations, tools, structures and actions required to generate robust outcomes & social results. He has developed significant expertise in developing cultures of continuous improvement & innovation, resolving conflict and organising the productive engagement with customers/clients/citizens.
Jon’s roles include working as the Regional Director of Organisational Development (Collaboration) for the police services of Eastern England and as Head of the Centre for Community Justice at OPM. Jon is an active Town Councillor, and was Mayor of Buckingham from May 2017 to May 2019 (see his blog here) He is also an active volunteer with a number of local charities. His career started in local government (housing and social care) and the NHS (health and well-being).
He is skilled in helping individuals, organisations and collaborative partnerships to shape their futures and create strategies that live in action (rather than exist only on the glossy page). He is a practiced designer of whole system interventions such as World Café, Open Space, Future Search and blends thereof. Increasingly, he spends much of his time coaching senior managers.
In recent years, Jon has turned to writing as a vehicle to promote change and development in public institutions. He is an active blogger, contributor to several professional publications and national newspapers (Guardian). Feedback on his writing style is that he writes enthusiastically and engagingly. He writes mainly about the development of a fair justice system, progressive leadership in organisations and organisational improvement.
He published: ‘Cracking Questions – to help you really improve productivity’ in 2016.
Brief career history of Jon
- August 2008: Established his independent consultancy
- July 2007: Regional Director of OD (Collaboration) for six Police Services of the Eastern Region (UK)
- May 1995: Senior Fellow and Head of Centre for Community Justice for the Office for Public Management, London
- May 1989: Total Quality Management / OD Consultant with MRA International, Oxfordshire
- Public health development
- Occupational health and safety
- Learning disability strategic development
- Local authority housing management
- Secondary school governance
- Youth mentor and voluntary social worker
- Parity Training – Managing Successful Programmes – Registered Practitioner (APM MSPR/17770), 2007
- Institute of Leadership & Management – Leadership Mentoring & Executive Coaching Diploma (Level 7), 2005
- OPP – Myers Briggs Type Indicator (Qualified to administer Step 1 of MBTI), 2004
- Reading University – BA Hons Psychology 2.1, 1980
- Member of the British Psychological Society
- Security cleared and DBS checked
Jon has worked with the Home Office, National Offender Management Service / Ministry of Justice, Gloucestershire Constabulary/OPCC, Islington Council, Cabinet Office, ITW, University of East London, College of Policing, Highways Agency, Esso, the Bank of England, Department for Education, The Pensions Agency, Solaglas, Schlumberger, the European Foundation for the Improvement of Living and Working Conditions, Youth Justice Board, Metropolitan Police, Thorn Lighting, HM Prison Service, Great Ormond Street Hospital, the National Policing Improvement Agency, numerous police services, local authorities and many other organisations (85 at the last count). His portfolio includes international work in Germany, Switzerland, Oman and elsewhere.